Holler has published its Songs of the Year 2022, with a range of country's heavy-hitters making the list. Zach Bryan, The War and Treaty, Pillbox Patti and Bailey Zimmerman all make appearances, with the top spot being taken by Dustin Lynch's celebratory anthem, ‘Party Mode’.
The unique power of country music is inextricably linked to the connection it makes with its listeners. The headphones become a conduit, releasing all kinds of tucked-away emotions that only seem to bubble to the surface when you hear the heart-wrenching into to George Strait's ‘Nobody In His Right Mind Would've Left Her’.
By the same token, our speakers can also provide an entirely different kind of sonic healing. The more uptempo, light-hearted and fun-loving country songs often get a lot of stick, yet they're always the number one choice when we're looking for a healthy dose of relief and escapism. And let's face it, in today's world, we need this more than ever!
It was with all of this in mind that the Holler team compiled its definitive, all-encompassing Songs of the Year list for 2022. After a year packed with big releases, there were a number of contenders for the No. 1 spot. But at the end of the day, there was only ever going to be one winner.
Dustin Lynch's ‘Party Mode’ got the well-deserved nod. The Holler Editor, Ross Jones, explained the decision, “We challenge you to find another song that sticks in your head quite like ‘Party Mode’. In the Holler office, we’ve not been able to stop playing the dang thing. With each new event or annual tradition that’s arrived, Baylen and Jof have created a new version of it, emerging with adapted lyrics to fit the required theme”.
The No. 2 position is occupied by ‘Everything She Ain't’ by Hailey Whitters, whose Raised album topped Holler's Albums of the Year 2022 list. Priscilla Block's ‘My Bar’, follows closely behind at No. 3, while Midland and Jon Pardi's electric, beer-drenched hit, ‘Longneck Way to Go’ was selected at No. 4. The top five is completed by The War and Treaty's romantic fire-starter, ‘That's How Love Is Made’.
For Holler’s full Songs of the Year 2022 list, see below:
1. Dustin Lynch - ‘Party Mode’
2. Hailey Whitters - ‘Everything She Ain't’
3. Priscilla Block - ‘My Bar’
4. Midland & Jon Pardi - ‘Longneck Way to Go’
5. The War and Treaty - ‘That's How Love Is Made’
6. Zach Bryan - ‘Something in the Orange’
7. HARDY & Lainey Wilson - ‘wait in the truck’
8. Kelsea Ballerini, Kelly Clarkson, Carly Pearce - ‘YOU'RE DRUNK, GO HOME’
9. Bailey Zimmerman - ‘Fall in Love’
10. Miko Marks & the Resurrectors - ‘Feel Like Going Home’
11. Luke Combs & Miranda Lambert - ‘Outrunnin' Your Memory’
12. Angel Olsen & Sturgill Simpson - ‘Big Time’
13. Adeem the Artist - ‘Going to Hell’
14. Jordan Davis - ‘Next Thing You Know‘
15. Allison Russell & Brandi Carlile - ‘You're Not Alone’
16. Cole Swindell - ‘She Had Me at Heads Carolina’
17. Ashley McBryde, Caylee Hammack, Brandy Clark, Pillbox Patti - ‘Bonfire at Tina's’
18. Colter Wall - ‘Cypress Hills and the Big Country’
19. David Morris - ‘Dutton Ranch Freestyle’
20. Pillbox Patti - ‘Eat Pray Drugs’
For the full 2022 Songs of the Year article, head here.