The UK Americana Awards Show is all set to take place at Hackney Empire, London on January 27th. Tonight, they have announced the nominees and honourees for each of the 13 awards on offer at the esteemed event.
In the prestigious Album of the Year categories, Yola, Ida Mae, The Wandering Hearts and The Staves are all nominated for the UK Award, while Amythyst Kiah, Allison Russell, Declan O'Rourke and Aaron Lee Tasjan will battle it out for the International award.
It could be a very good night for Russell or Kiah, who lead the way with nominations in the International Artist of the Year category as well. They are joined by fellow Our Native Daughters bandmate Rhiannon Giddens and Taylor Swift in the ballot for the award.
Meanwhile, we'll see either Elles Bailey, The Staves, John Smith or Yola pick up the accolade for the UK Artist of the Year.
Amongst the honourees, Lucinda Williams will be rewarded on the night with the International Life Time Achievement Award, the highest honour given to an act by the UK Americana board.
Upon the announcement, Williams said, "I am so honoured to be the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award. Coming now, at the end of a rollercoaster year and a half of both the professional challenges that we’ve all faced, as well as a serious personal health issue, this feels especially rewarding".
As a tribute to Williams' life and career, special guest Kiefer Sutherland will perform a selection of her songs on the night.
Also among the honourees is singer-songwriter Beth Orton, who is the recipient of the Trailblazer Award.
She said, “I am thrilled to be recognised as a trailblazer. Classic Americana songwriters from Glen Campbell and Emmylou Harris, to Lucinda Williams and John Prine, have always been songwriters I hold in the highest esteem. I have drawn inspiration from the wellspring of that timeless music and to have that acknowledged means a great deal to me.”
For the full list of nominations and honourees, see below:
UK Album of the Year
• Click Click Domino by Ida Mae (produced by Christopher Turpin)
• Good Woman by The Staves (produced by John Congleton)
• The Wandering Hearts by The Wandering Hearts (produced by Simone Felice, David Baron, Mike Mogis and The Wandering Hearts)
• Stand For Myself by Yola (produced by Dan Auerbach)
International Album of the Year
• Wary + Strange by Amythyst Kiah (produced by Tony Berg and Amythyst Kiah)
• Outside Child by Allison Russell (produced by Dan Knobler)
• Arrivals by Declan O'Rourke (produced by Paul Weller)
• Tasjan! Tasjan! Tasjan! by Aaron Lee Tasjan (produced by Aaron Lee Tasjan and Gregory Lattimer)
UK Song of the Year
• 'This Ain't The Life' by Lauren Housley (written by Lauren Housley)
• 'Eye to Eye' by John Smith feat. Sarah Jarosz (written by John Smith and Sarah Siskind)
• 'Latchkey' by Memorial (written by Jack Watts and Oliver Spalding)
• 'Willing' by Lady Nade (written by Lady Nade)
International Song of the Year
• 'Never Said A Word' by Judy Blank & Dylan Earl (written by Judy Blank & Dylan Earl)
• 'Sweet Misery' by Tré Burt (written by Tré Burt)
• 'Right on Time' by Brandi Carlile (written by Brandi Carlile, Dave Cobb, Phil Hanseroth and Tim Hanseroth)
• 'Jeremiah' by Sierra Ferrell (written by Sierra Ferrell)
UK Artist of the Year
• Elles Bailey
• The Staves
• John Smith
International Artist of the Year
• Rhiannon Giddens
• Amythyst Kiah
• Allison Russell
• Taylor Swift
UK Instrumentalist of the Year
• Thomas Dibb
• Joe Harvey-Whyte
• Mark Lewis
• Michele Stodart
UK Americana Music Week returns to Hackney in London, January 24th to 27th 2022, with the Awards ceremony taking place on Thursday 27th, at Hackney Empire.
Holler is proud to be a media partner of the 2022 UK Americana Music Week, following our socials and website for up-to-date coverage and information about the event.